Call 0151 933 3333
Opening Hours: Monday to Wednesday - 9am to 5.30pm
Thursday - 9am to 7.30pm
Friday - 9am to 5pm
Saturday Morning - 9am to noon”

NHS Complaints

Most medical care and treatment goes well, but things occasionally go wrong, and you may want to complain. Every NHS organisation has a complaints procedure. To find out about it, ask a member of staff, look on the hospital or trust’s website, or contact the complaints department for more information.

What are my rights?

If you’re not happy with the care or treatment you’ve received or you’ve been refused treatment for a condition, you have the right to complain, have your complaint investigated, and be given a full and prompt reply.

The NHS Constitution explains your rights when it comes to making a complaint. You have the right to:

have your complaint dealt with efficiently, and properly investigated,
know the outcome of any investigation into your complaint,
take your complaint to the independent Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman if you’re not satisfied with the way the NHS has dealt with your complaint,
make a claim for judicial review if you think you’ve been directly affected by an unlawful act or decision of an NHS body, and
receive compensation if you’ve been harmed.

Who should I complain to?

You can complain either to the service that you’re unhappy with, or you can complain to your local primary care trust (PCT) that commissioned the service.

When should I complain?

As soon as possible. Complaints should normally be made within 12 months of the date of the event that you’re complaining about, or as soon as the matter first came to your attention.

The time limit can sometimes be extended (so long as it’s still possible to investigate the complaint). An extension might be possible, such as in situations where it would have been difficult for you to complain earlier, for example, when you were grieving or undergoing trauma.

Where do I start?

Since April 2009, the NHS has run a simple complaints process, which has two stages.

Ask your hospital or trust for a copy of its complaints procedure, which will explain how to proceed. Your first step will normally be to raise the matter (in writing or by speaking to them) with the practitioner, e.g. the nurse or doctor concerned, or with their organisation, which will have a complaints manager. This is called local resolution, and most cases are resolved at this stage. If you’re still unhappy, you can refer the matter to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, who is independent of the NHS and government. Call 0345 015 4033

Who can help?

Patient Advice and Liaison Service

Officers from the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) are available in all hospitals. They offer confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters to patients, their families and their carers. You can find your local PALS office at the Office Directory at PALS Online.

Independent Complaints Advocacy Service

The Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS) is a national service that supports people who wish to make a complaint about their NHS care or treatment. Contact your local ICAS office through the hospital manager or PALS, or by calling the following numbers:

London: 0300 456 2370
South East: 0845 600 8616
Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire: 0300 456 2370
Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk: 0300 456 2370
Essex: 0300 456 2370
South West: 0845 120 3782
West Midlands: 0300 456 2370
East Midlands: 0300 456 8347
North East: 0300 456 8348
North West: 0300 456 8350
Yorkshire and Humberside: 0300 456 8349

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Office Directory at PALS Online

Let James Murray help with your legal requirements, Call 0151 933 3333 or contact us here